Beyonce fesses to lip-sync at inauguration.



Beyonce fesses up.  I'm glad she demonstrated she could sing at her press conference, if not the inauguration. What I was disappointed by is her excuse, saying she couldn't rehearse for the inauguration because she was practicing for the Super Bowl.  The Super Bowl is bigger than the president?  And she said she was nervous at the Superdome because it had history.

Now, she has a pretty voice and freaking beautiful hair.  But let's go over some matters.

If you're singing for the president plus one million people live, plus millions on TV, as a musician I would want to rehearse.  I've sung for three presidents, two of which I hated.  But I even rehearsed for the presidents I hated.  So, if you're singing for a president, find some time to rehearse.  If you're singing for a million people who have been standing in the cold for a couple hours, find some time to rehearse.

I think the steps of the capitol and the mall that leads past the Washington Monument to the Lincoln Memorial have some history, perhaps more than the Superdome.  Over the last 100 years, millions of people have congregated on the mall to demand a fair deal: the Bonus Army, the Civil Rights marches, the ERA marches, the labor rallies, the antiwar marches.  Millions of families make a trip across the country or the world to be there, to see the houses of government, the museums, the festivals on the mall.  The Lincoln Memorial has seen Marian Anderson sing, Martin Luther King speak, and Forrest Gump hug Jenny.   So there's some history there too. The Superdome has seen football games, forgotten two weeks after they were played.

I'm glad she's singing live at the Super Bowl.  It may be more exciting than the game or the commercials.  I'll probably be watching the Puppy Bowl.  Those little fellers practiced.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My favorite places in DC that are no more

MPC Miniature Military Vehicles: 1960s toys

Sharing my name